Currently Playing – Ark: survival Evolved & Rise of the Tomb Raider

tombraider-ark

I’m currently enjoying getting down and dirty with nature. Taming dinosaurs in Ark: Survival evolved is exciting and frustrating in equal measure. Exciting because I’m taming friggin dinosaurs. Frustrating because bigger dinosaurs keep eating them… And when I’m not playing that, I’m exploring the freezing mountains in Rise of the Tomb Raider – seriously, I have never felt so cold playing a videogame. It’s the way Lara hugs herself in the chill wind as the snow clings to her jacket. It’s one of the most beautiful games I’ve seen in a long time.

Ark: Survival Evolved

This game has so much potential. It’s taken over as my favourite survival game (previously held by the Arma 2 mod version of DayZ, which I have brilliantly fond memories of (haven’t played the standalone release though)). Take a huge tropical island setting, throw in over a hundred different types of animal and donosaurs, make them all tameable and add a good slice of base-building and you have Ark. It’s in Early Access on Steam right now, and is very playable. It’s also a bit of a graphics hog, which my nVidia 560 GTX can barely handle, but if you have something remotely newer, it’ll be fine.

Brian the Raptor

I’ve clocked about 20 hours so far and have managed to tame a Dodo, a Dilophosaurus, a Parasaur, a Phiomia and even a Raptor. All of them are dead now, however. I seem to be barely capable of keeping them alive, and it’s horribly frustrating. This game would be wonderful with a bunch of friends, as the numerous YouTube videos prove. Seriously, look it up and watch in awe at some of the tribes out there with their fully self-sustaining castles with fertilised greenhouses and huge dinosaur pens. It’s incredible. And with constant updates, its only getting better.

2016-02-15_00001

Rise of the Tomb Raider

My good friend Steve recently had a spot of luck when he noticed Gamespot selling the Pc version for a stupidly marked down price. He kindly bought me a copy and I’ve been playing it for the last 2 days. It starts out a bit linear, to get you used to the controls but it doesn’t take long before you’re thrown into a bigger hub area, and set loose. While its not an open-world game, its game world feels refreshingly big and begging to be explored. Lara Croft has never looked better, the graphics are stunning. She also looks more like a real person – gone are the days of her exaggeratedly gigantic breasts. She moves with intricately detailed animation and is voiced with charm and grace by Camilla Luddington.

tombraider

There’s animals to hunt, collectibles to find, puzzles to solve and yes, tombs to raid. The optional tombs are some of the best moments I’ve seen so far, requiring a bit of thought to solve and giving you a satisfying sense of accomplishment when you do. They also look really pretty. The only thing I’m finding a bit tedious is the hokey story. Something about an immortal prophet and some mystical mumbo jumbo. These games have always had that in them, and i’ve never really cared for it, but I don’t play these games for the story. I play them for the platforming, puzzle solving and environmental exploration. Very much enjoying this one so far.

This entry was posted in Thoughts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

204 Responses to Currently Playing – Ark: survival Evolved & Rise of the Tomb Raider

1. Nevertheless, as mentioned within the article, there are numerous do’s and don’ts to comply with while investing cash for reworking.

2. Kenneth says:

This is constantly returned to the aeration/mixing area,
    therefore preserving the levels of micro-organisms in the mixed liquor.

3. Simply put, it’s how persons and corporations transform one currency to another.

4. Priscilla says:

So, These Off Page SEO Methods are still effective as well as effective at one problem, Don’t Spam Over There.

5. This article will assist the internet people for building up new weblog or even a weblog from start to
    end.

6. Scarlett says:

Whereas you would possibly really feel obliged to get your cash’s price out of dearer jewelry.

The magnetism of effectively crafted jewellery makes it highly desired.

7. Mickey says:

hi!,I like your writing very so much! share we keep up a
    correspondence more approximately your post on AOL?
    I need a specialist on this space to solve my problem.
    May be that’s you! Looking ahead to peer you.

8. What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious know-how concerning unexpected feelings.

9. Kirk says:

This is continuously gone back to the aeration/mixing area, thus preserving the levels of micro-organisms in the combined alcohol.

10. Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it’s truly informative.
    I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue
    this in future. Many people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

11. Joann says:

Outstanding alternative of colors!

12. I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this
    post was great. I do not know who you are but
    definitely you’re going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

13. I really like that they change their vary recurrently. They have four trend
    collections and a couple of Basic collections yearly.

14. Annetta says:

Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it’s truly informative.
    I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll be grateful if you
    continue this in future. Numerous people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

15. Crystal sewage-disposal tanks are distinct during that they maintain the oygenation process that was essential in the aged conventional layout.

16. Sheri says:

It is really a nice and useful piece of information. I’m satisfied that you simply shared this
    useful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this.
    Thank you for sharing.

17. Margarita says:

What i do not understood is in truth how you’re now not actually a lot more well-favored than you might be now.
    You’re very intelligent. You already know thus significantly with regards to this subject, produced me individually consider it from so many varied angles.
    Its like women and men don’t seem to be involved until it is
    one thing to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your individual stuffs outstanding.
    At all times handle it up!

18. The Klargester Alpha and also Klargester Beta+ array of
    Sewage-disposal tank just gives settlement for sewage solids.

19. Aurelio says:

Hello, after reading this awesome piece of writing i am as well cheerful
    to share my knowledge here with friends.

20. Margarita says:

This will allow solids to pass into the soakaway & induce it to silt up prematurely,
    lowering its effectiveness & its working life.

21. The term thermogenic refers to the organic process of thermogenesis, which is the process
    of spending energy (calories) to produce heat and keep bodily
    functions.

22. Kristy says:

I read this article completely regarding the difference of latest and preceding technologies,
    it’s remarkable article.

23. The same thing happened to me. I acquired the free sample but it really wasn’t totally free.
    They charged me after fourteen days 89. 00 plus 30. 00 for the green coffee pill.

24. Lizzie says:

Brown Eyed Women tienen previsto celebrar su primer concierto
    en solitario en Corea desde 2010 el 24 de diciembre y 25
    en el Corridor Central Metropolis Millennium ubicado en Seúl.

25. Gown the door with new hardware, and add a welcome mat and potted crops near the doorway.

26. Review Hp says:

This paragraph offers clear idea in favor of the new people of blogging,
    that actually how to do blogging and site-building.

27. You might add a related video clip or a pic or two to seize readers excited about what you’ve got to state.

28. Williams says:

For enquiries for Islands and also areas beyond these nations, kindly contact us on UK 01453 791616
    or IRL 064 6632421 for further help.

29. Zac says:

If you desire to increase your know-how simply keep visiting this website and be updated with
    the newest gossip posted here.

30. The towns aand cities such as San-Zhi Pod in Taiwan, Bodie in California, Hashima Island in Japan, Pripyat in Ukraine, Varosha in Cyprus and
    so on always attract people worldwide as some among the scariest towns and cities in the world.
    All the Las Vegas casinos compete for gambler’s time and money by compensating them with complimentary gifts ( comps ).
    Yoou will receive a report whgenever you want it, with all
    the statistiics and movements and more information about your bettors.

31. Includes a record for each product detailing our laboratory results.

32. Birgit says:

Thank you, I’ve just been searching for info approximately this subject for a while and
    yours is the greatest I’ve found out till now. But, what in regards to the conclusion? Are
    you positive concerning the supply?

33. Rheumatism and bowel plaints are usually treated with a decoction of the
    fresh fruit rind.

34. These tanks are created to satisfy both the setup demands as
    well as the standards of discharge specified by BS 6297: 1983.

35. The cTrader platform, to the other-hand, can be a devoted forex platform
    while offering use of an elevated selection of pairs.

36. Sheila says:

Right here at Wildon (UK) Ltd, we generate septic tank services to assist with the separation and therapy of waste.

37. Aracelis says:

It’s remarkable in favor of me to have a site, which is good for my know-how.

thanks admin

38. Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
    The words in your post seem to be running off the screen in Internet explorer.
    I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to
    do with browser compatibility but I thought I’d post
    to let you know. The style and design look great though!
    Hope you get the issue solved soon. Many thanks

39. Mahalia says:

Sometimes it is more efficiently to write than to type.

Sometimes it is more efficiently to make your own sandwich than to get it from the shop in the future.

40. This way, they can locate trading possibilities in both climbing and
    markets that are decreasing together with short-term
    intraday moves.

41. When you’ve got some high-quality jewelry or heirloom jewelry whose value you
    need to defend via insurance coverage, it is wise
    to take glorious pictures of these pieces and to have an appraisal accomplished
    by knowledgeable. Make it possible for the pictures you take are good, high quality ones.

42. It’s for canine house owners and lets you use GPS to see different canines/house
    owners in your space.

43. Householders operating them accountable for the procedure, maintenance and
    also periodic emptying of the chamber.

44. Wilma says:

Pretty! This was a really wonderful article. Thanks for providing this information.

45. The tree must be skilled with one central leader or important trunk within the heart, with a number of huge-angled limbs spaced around the chief.

46. We make sure a quickly, friendly and also trusted solution – you don’t even should go to home when we call.